Thursday, February 4, 2010

You know what? - I DON"T KNOW



It seems I have this problem of playing out conversations that never exist.





I was walking to my desk and I passed a co-worker heading to speak to two ladies.



You know how you start a conversation as if it's the subject line of an e-mail? You need to talk to someone about rescheduling the day that you have the car wash company come to work...so you either call the person or walk up to them and say "Car wash......" - and then continue talking.




Well, the aforementioned co-worker breezed passed me and stopped at a desk station and said "Patient Question" - Now, I know what she meant. She wanted to know what to do about a patient that was there. The problem with my brain is that I IMMEDIATELY played out this conversation in my head.............




Co-worker - (Standing, but not leaning over desk) "Patient Question"


Me - (Sitting behind desk counter wearing neatly pressed scrubs and showing a smooth face due to the recently shaven goat-tee, thinking that this person wants ME to give her a random question about regarding patients as if she's preparing for a Jeopardy audition.) ...so I reply "Okay, why do they smell like that?".....


Co-Worker - "What?"


Me - "Oh, I thought you wanted me to ask you about patients."


Co-Worker - "No, silly" "You're so funny" "Your wife, friends, family, and Facebook stalkers are SO lucky to have you in their lives." "Will you marry me?"


Me - "No, but you can bring me a Dr. Pepper"


Co-Worker - "Okay, Dave"




~ Yeah, that's what played out in my head.




THEN, later that same month.......(And this conversation ACTUALLY happened)


I was sitting at my desk in the OR, where we do surgery at a hospital that I work at, while I was practicing saying redundant things (Worth IT!) - and the phone at the front desk rings. Since there was nobody available to answer, the Dave-O had to get up and answer.


The caller ID showed a cell phone caller with the description - "Smith, David" - folks, if I'm lying I'm the next American Idol.


So I paused with fear, because (what if it was actually me calling from the future saying "don't answer the phone" but how would I know not to answer unless I actually answered?!!!) OH THE AGONY.......(small sigh for affect...) - So, I answered. This voice on the other end sounded squirrely and snippy......in other words, - Just like ME!


After I answer:


He says to me, he says "Someone from there just called me?"


Me (~thinking "funny, I'm the one that just answered the phone. Obviously you just called me, but whatever!")


I say "Well, did they leave a message?"


Fake David Smith - "No, it was probably about a charge"


...(I do charges....was this really future me?)


Anyway, I told him/me that I would take a message, ask around and see if I could figure out who it was, then have them call him/me back.


He gave me a number that I did NOT recognize so I knew it wasn't me and I did NOT relay the message.....thought it was the right thing to do!




It is NOT easy being me! Or calling me! Now...bring me a Dr. Pepper!




Later


No comments: