Saturday, September 27, 2008

Code Blue: Come one, come all!

Welcome.
Friday 10:35am. I'm in the Business Office of the hospital where I work. I'm asking an employee something and I hear an overhead page that exclaimed "Code Blue CT" "Code Blue CT" - For the un-medical of us, CT is where we do our Cat Scans. Quick history: My hospital is a "Surgery Center" - it does not specialize in emergency situations outside of an OR room. We have very, very...VERY few patients that require cpr due to a very inactive ER, and the types of patients we see. (18 - 50 - something year olds having Bariatric surgery. Or, Orthopaedic patients.) Quick plug: If you or someone you know is interested in bariatric surgery let me know.
So, when I heard the code called - I assumed it was a drill, because we have one every few months or so. Well, it was not a drill. I scurried on down to CT where I discovered a fairly large man receiving chest compressions. Questions from the reading audience? Yes, you behind the screen. "Why would a Business Office Director have any business assisting during a code?" I'm glad you asked! First of all, when I was 18 years old I was an ER Tech at Baylor Dallas. I was trained in trauma situations. Trained to know what and where medical supplies was. Trained not to panic. I've now been in the medical field one way or another for close to 12 years. - ...........And I was nosey! Now, in spite of my title, I was still asked to run and get medications from the Pharmacy, an IV pump from the ER, and to get the ICU bed ready. I didn't let this go to my head though. Due to the lack of these situations the Quality/Risk Manager was asking the same things from the Maintenance guy! Also there out of curiosity.
It was a little weird to see the panic on everyone's face. It was just like the TV show ER, except no background music, and there was more unqualified people than qualified, and there was no love triangle with hollywood guest stars.....Okay, it was nothing like ER. But, I was happy be there for the team that was working together to save this guy. We got him stable enough to move to ICU where they held him until we got him transferred to Doctor's Hospital.
At the end of the day I was talking to the Administrator and I told her that I was proud of everyone and the way they responded. Her response tickled me a little. She shook her head, as if to agree with me, and then belted out a "He is lucky to be alive!" - As if to say (and a direct quote from my wife) - "That is one place you do NOT want to have a code!" ....or be a maintenance guy!

Later, Dave-O

No comments: