Saturday, September 27, 2008

"A nice rink to it"

Welcome,
Saturday, the day of my son Drew's birthday party. We decided to go all out this year. But since Greenville only has a bowling alley and a skating rink, we went with the latter. Anyone care for a quick lesson in the history of roller skating? Bear with me. 100 years ago a woman put wheels under her shoes to help her shop faster. The sport was born and grew to national fame in the 70's. Here we are 30 plus years later and it's...well....a good place to have an 8 yr old b-day party! - Not a bad history. Mostly made up? Yes!
My parents were LEGENDS on wheels back when they were in there dating years. They ran a skating rink and, in it's heyday, was the place to be on a Friday night in a little town I like to call Wilmer...cause that's the name of the town. Shout-out!
This means the ability to handle oneself on the four roller-wheeled shoes of death was in my blood. And, I'm not shy about saying, that I can more than stay upright on a pair! But my son has taken the torch and ran...er... rolled with it. He is much faster than me, and is much more balanced than I ever will be.
Short story: We were racing, he was beating me, I pushed him down! End of story.
Kidding (only about the pushing) And, by the way, the music that is played now is quite different than the 70's roller-disco- funky town-where ya from you sexy thang-staying live diddies that once penetrated the walls of the slick floored spheres of popcorned smelling arenas!
Nowadays questioned are posed to the listening audience. Such as just what exactly ARE you going to do with all that junk....all that junk....all that junk? Or maybe you're a girl. Maybe you kissed a girl. Maybe you liked it. Ooh. A rabbit! I think I'll chase. Drives me crazy when old people (and by old I mean anyone older than me) do not get the lyrics right to songs that they do not approve of and are quoting. Such as "Whoops, there it is" ..c'mon...whoops? Or the classic.."Don't touch this nah, nah, nah, nah." Miss that MC Hammer. Where was I? ....Oh yeah. Flo-Rider came on and just about the time Shawty was going low Drew started this dance as he was rolling around the rink. He had his arms out to the side and was-a bouncing up and down to the beat. I would have stopped him but I was too busy trying to catch up (and dancing the same way at that moment.) You WP alumni remember me dancing? Awesome....ly embarrasing to white people everywhere! Hasn't stopped me. Or Drew.
The rink had a mascot. It was a Kangaroo. It made two kids nervous. One to the point of screaming in tears. Drew had his picture made with it and I'll post it soon. All in all. It was a good Mario Bros. themed party. Caden (my 5yr old) had fun as well, and got caught trying to sneak away with some of Drew's toys.
Another year. Another party is done. Another human dressed as an animal. Another cyring kid....probably aimed at the father of the birthday boy's dancing!
Later, Dave-O

(the views expressed in this blog do not represent the views of the national skating association and reserve the right to sue if Mr. Smith if he ever makes up crap about the "history of skating' again)

No comments: