Saturday, October 4, 2008

Everyday People

Appreciate you returning.
Today's post will consist of various people in the world that have it in their agenda to cross paths with me. Maybe it's some form of punishment, testing, or other brand of entertainment. (God doesn't get bored, does he?)
First, Friday afternoon, I'm trying to leave work, get my stuff together and so forth. I'm strolling across the lobby and this older, Spanish, gentleman approaches me and asks if we do drug tests. I told him that we did, but it would be for either pre-employment testing, or for pre-op tests which would require a Physician's order. He told me that he didn't have a dr's order. It was for a student at his school. (He was apparently on staff) I re-informed him that we could not do it. He said "are you positive?" (My initial mental response was) "I don't know, I've never been tested" Assuming he would not perceive the wonderful, harmless humor, I passed and, instead said "Yes, we cannot do the drug test" He then, lightly screams, if that's even a description, "But I need to know if this kid is on Pot!!" I apologized again and asked that he take it to a dr's office. After noticing his blood-shot eyes, I wondered if it was really his and he was trying not to get busted! He then went to the operator to ask her the same questions. As I walked back by I overheard him say "that's what the other guy said" she responded by saying "well, he's my boss and he knows what he's talking about" he replied "you people are no help" she said "well, we're not the ones with loser-drug-dealing-pot-heads, now are we?" - no, she didn't say that, but that would have been great!
Moving on, As I was driving home I noticed a sign that said "Palm Reader" I wonder, do they have caller ID?.......Wouldn't they know who it is? I think I'll call one of them up and say it's someone else. See if they notice.
So I pull into Greenville, pick up the kids, and then head to Wal-Mart to pick up the lovely wife who has dropped off the car to get the oil changed, cause The Dave-O don't do the "home oil changes" And, if you ever come to my house, you won't see any oil stains in the drive way. Mostly cause we don't have a real drive way, just a rock trail.
Well, I notice that I have to get gas. I texted to let the lovely wife know. I know she wants me to hurry, and I'm starving......enter "gas station lady" Why in Hades does THIS woman arrive at MY pump before me? Very busy gas station. 3 people to a pump. The first car finishes and drives away. I'm waiting for the van in front of me that is occupied by someone apparently made of concrete, to pull forward. She finally does and then.......DOESN'T GET OUT for like 2 minutes. What was she doing? Meditating, praying, watching the VP Presidential debate on those little TV's that some versions of vans come with depending on which package the salesmen talks you into???
So she drips out...THEN WALKS IN TO PAY. Comes back, begins pumping, all the while on her cell, probably talking to her husband complaining about hospitals that don't do free random drug tests! She finishes, AND THEN STARTS TO GO BACK INSIDE THE STORE. She realizes that there is a relatively angry young gentlemen in a truck behind her with two small children staring over the dash with judgemental face tones, comes to her senses, throws up a hand and motions "Sorry" and then moves the van. By this time the lovely wife has walked from Wal-Mart to the gas station 20 acres away.
Lastly, the "Flag Man" You know, when there fixing, I mean "fixing" the two lane roads and they block down to one lane and you have to wait until the guy with the sign that reads "stop/slow" motions you around. Even though I'm always mad at the delay, I always waive at the flag guy. I think it's a nice thing to do. It's usually hot out there and he probably gets a lot of dirty looks from angry drivers on their way to gas stations for ANOTHER long wait.
Anyway, I was sixth in line and I noticed that every time a car passed the flag guy he would waive. Turns out EVERYBODY waives at the flag guy. These are his duties. Hold the sign up, waives = number of cars that go buy. By the time I got to him I waived, he waived back but looked like he was VERY tired of putting his hand up and down. - You know when you see a program at school or a play and they tell you to hold your applause until the end. The flag guys should have a sign that says "Stop/Slow" and "Waiving not neccessary unless you're the only car, or unless you're the last car in the current line!"
Then again, maybe that won't help. What do I know? I'm not a palm reader!

Later

No comments: