Friday, February 6, 2009

The little Darling






Hey there,
Wednesday night the wife and I babysat my neice Baby Abby. She's 3 1/2 months old.
We picked her up from her mom (Jill) at church, 'cause that's where she works. - Jill, not the Baby Abby!
Anyway, the Baby Abby was asleep and was placed in her car seat and buckled in ;)
I kept looking back there every minute or so to see if I could detect movement or any unexpected fluid portruding out of her mouth-al area. Everytime I looked her little eyes were closed. - UNTIL...we got about 14 minutes down the road and I looked back and saw, in that little mirror thing strategically place on the headrest of the backseat facing the car-seat showing her great big-ole pretty eyeballs just-a lookin' around.
"What do we do"? I pondered to myself. Andrea was driving and we pulled into a KFC drive-thru. It was at the point of ordering that she decided to start crying. (The Baby Abby, not Andrea) So the cashier-order-taker-person had to hear little Baby Abby's displeasure of being in the backseat ALL ALONE. It was at that point that I decided to jump back there like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Diaper, (I almost went with the Temple of Doo Doo!)and show her my face. - She cried even more! But I started to work some magic with the well-placed car-seat toys. And with some tapping of my fingers, funny voices, and an iPhone she calmed down and even smiled a bit.
Once we got home she was great! She ate and then let us take turns holding her and trying to get her to smile. (Which she did a lot of) Actually, Andrea held her a lot more than me. It came time for her bath and I waited patiently in the living room watching my beloved Mavs. (And, because I have issues with other people and bath tubs....we won't go there at this particular junction. May ruin the weekend!)
Once bathtime with the little Baby Abby was over, (You tired of me using "the baby Abby" aren't you?) "Just call her Abby" you're probably screaming!
- I wanted some pictures with me holding her. She was just a tad fussy, probably thinking about the backseat abandonement earlier in the day, so I gave the camera to the wife, held her in front of me and walked her to the bathroom to show her herself in the mirror. I walked back to the living room and from the time it took me to take 11 steps....she fell asleep! Oh well. We had a fun time nonetheless. OH! I just thought of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Burpcloth! - Nah.
I heard her only once in the middle of the night. I briefly thought about yelling out my new secret technique of putting her to sleep = bath + short walk to bathroom to glance at self in mirror before returning to living room. But I didn't.

Later friends, family, former co-workers still reading this thing!

Dave

(How about Indiana Jones and the Last Cool-Aid? (Give it up Dave)

2 comments:

Jill said...

Are you sure you guys didn't give her anything to "drink" to make her fall asleep??? She looks drunk in the first picture!

Washington Family said...

O...Dave! You are such a funny man! Love reading your posts. Cute little girl...sounds like you had an adventure babysitting. Take care...