Saturday, January 30, 2010

Thwart of the Union

Come on in!



I thought I'd give my thoughts on the recent State of the Union Address. As if you wanted to hear my opinion. - But...you are reading this so, here goes!!



First, I'll start with all of the positive things about President Obama's speech.

1. His tie was straight... now for the negative...

That was a joke!



Actually I think he has quite the task in front of him for the next three years of his one and only term.

Which I didn't think would be the case after he first took office.

The party's are certainly split between themselves, but that's not new. It seems as if he is an outsider among his own administration. If the Republicans want something, the Democrats throw a hammer. If the Democrats try something, the Republicans are surely going to try to thwart. (I like the word thwart) - I've stopped blogging for like two minutes just saying thwart. Using different accents, yelling it. Ok, I'm done now.

But if Mr. Obama brings something to the political table....both sides say "Hold up a minute young man." "This ain't gonna work." - Gives me a warm feeling inside. I assumed that everything he wanted would be granted immediately. Awesome in the face!

Or is it? I don't want other countries laughing because of our lack of respect for leadership. I mean, nothing happens outside of God's divine permission. So, Mr. Obama is there for a reason. Darned if I know what the reason is!!



So, I won't dissect him personally. But I will take my amateur cheap-shots at the address he gave.



The number 3 problem I have with the speech, is his jabs at the previous president. Saying things like "The deficit was this bad before I ever took office" or "We've done it that way for eight years, and look where that's got us" - would be fine if he wasn't trying to preach in the very next phrases that we need to "put aside our blaming and come together" or "take responsibility and move foward" - that kind of two-handed talk chaps my hide!

Problem number 2 is this global warming, I'm sorry, "undeniable scientific evidence" of global warming. What the Flagnod? Google stories from the mid-70's where global "cooling" was an issue. Do we really have the weather THAT high up on the list of things to do before I get voted out in three more years? If you concentrate on that which we have no control you'll end this presidency hardly making a positive difference and I'll have to pick at the next president or presidentess, about complaining that he/she "inherited" a mess from the previous president!

Not that it shouldn't be a concern, and not that we shouldn't do what we can to improve the environment around us....but let's leave that to the people that have that time on their hands to guilt trip the guilty into recycling and driving energy-efficient vehicles.

And, the number 1 problem I had with the Address was that he stated that he inherited this country in this condition.....Really? Ya mean it doesn't automatically start over every term?

Listen, your entire campaign was basically huling insults at Mr. Bush citing what a horrible job he has done. Entering two wars, ignoring health care and so forth. - If YOU can say that you inherited this mess, my question is - Can Mr. Bush ever say "Oh, I'm sorry, we were attacked 9 months into my first term" which would be a jab at Mr. Clinton's security system already in place. What if we did NOT go to war? What if he would have concentrated on healthcare? We would have needed it, I suppose, to make sure that we were taken care of because of the routine attacks that would have been on our soil because these countries would have had enough time on their hands seeing as how we weren't over there bravely defending us and securing their govt. - but I digest...



I choose to hope that the parties do come together. Because people are growing tired of the three-way fighting. Let's bring it back to the classic boxing-style grudge match between two entities that we've grown accustomed to. Or, let's ALL focus on global warming and see where we end up!



Later.

No comments: