Monday, October 20, 2008

East Texas Charm

Thanks for coming back!
One of the great things about traveling with a quartet is the people you meet along the way. One of the awful things.....is, again, the people you meet. Saturday afternoon about 2:00p we leave the bus barn (Plano) headed for Gilmer, the Mullett capital of Texas! We are heading to the Gilmer Civic Center - or, as I like to call it....The Mule Barn. I'm not making fun of people, just...well, yes I'm making fun, but not in a bad way.
I knew we were in for a treat when we past an eating joint called "Double D Sausage" - Need I go on? I think not (in case we have underage viewers) (or overage viewers with weak stomaches that will send me nasty comments) Where was I?....Oh yeah Mullettville. So we arrive for our concert that we are sharing with a hay-trailer-load full of other groups (you like the analogy?)
It started at like 8:00a and went ALL day. And, believe me, those people stayed all day. And, really believe me.....it looked like it!!
So we set up our table, get our suits on, mix and mingle. We saw groups that we used to sing with, got caught up on the Local Gospel Rumors that I'm not at liberty to go into. Mostly 'cause I didn't talk to anyone long enough to remember what they said. Well, it came time for our set. We were supposed to go on at 5:00p but the previous group finished a little early. (This comes into play later)
So we take the stage. **Quick note: Our lead singer was not able to attend and we had a fill-in. This really doesn't ever come into play. Just fyi..
So we do our set number of songs. The audience was a good size (numerically) but they were not totally in to it. We were getting ready to walk off stage after closing and the emcee came out and said "Can ya do one mower?" (Not mispelled, that's the way he talked) *Note the earlieness of the previous group. Then, as I'm searching the Replay Machine (recording device that stores and plays our tracks that I'm not that familiar with so I'm now panicking trying to find another song 'cause usually their pre-selected) someone from the audience shouts "Turn the piano player loose" - Well, we know what that means. The Dave-O has to bring the HEAT! So I tear off into a fast diddy of a solo, the audience is loving it....THEN I notice see this guy dressed like a scarecrow come over with a piece of paper fanning my hands as I play yelling "Boy he's on fire" and "Look at him go"......He stayed there until I was finished with my song! I've never elbowed anyone in the face while I've played but that was the closest that I came. - That was our emcee ladies and gentlemen. Hoo-Wee! He shouted. Did get a standing ovation though. Should have worn overalls!
Nothing like having a concert next to a rodeo. They just perambulate (means walk) over, make 'em a plate of bbq and walk up to your table and make comments like "Saw you up thar on that thar peenaner" "You's purty good" - I could only respond with a respectful "Well, thank you Mayor".......
If that wasn't enough. We had to go back on at 8:00p for basically the same thing and, believe me once again, the night was just getting started!

No comments: