Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Praise Song With a Bite!

Welcome back peeps! - Jerry, my IT friend at work, and I were having a discussion about a VERY important topic.....Golf. I was actually whining that he never invited me. (Even though I actually played back in the spring with him, his father-in-law, and a gentleman from Wills Point - (Can I get a shout-out to the big WP?!!)
As to which he responded "Dude, I've invited you twice and you told me no." - Which is actually true, and prompted a "You want to go this weekend?" So, this past Saturday morning at 8:15am The Dave-O teed off a BEAUTIFUL shot that had this majestic-like curve and landed some 48 ft. from the green on which I was standing. Not a good start. Things improved slightly during the day. But it didn't have much of a choice! I only hit the water twice (most of the time not making it to the water hazard due to lack of distance....I'll blame the clubs!) All in all, I had a good time - and haven't been asked to go again yet.
Sunday - The wife and I were in Sunday School and the preacher comes up to me and asks "Have you ever led singing before" - Which translates "You WILL be leading the song service this morning!" My darling wife answered for me "Yes, but he does it while at the piano" (accompanied with a sly grin)
So, I go grab a songbook and come up with the service order. This is a small-town church so I new they would be forgiving. The service began. I stood up gave a quick announcement and gave the page number, sat down, played the intro and everyone joined in - well, not everyone. You see. I don't play churchy. Half to most of you know that I put a little rythym with it when I play. Let me tell what I noticed. Three old ladies leaning over nearly in a 45 degree angle to see past the people sitting in front of them. Then they began pokin' each other and gigglin' like school girls. (Quick note: David knows how to charm the blue-hairs) I was playing THEIR kind of music. Then, there was this teenager on one of the back rows that whipped out her cell before the first verse was finished and started recording me. If I end up on you-tube I better be gettin' some royalties! But it wasn't until after the song service that the best thing was brought to my attention. ~~~Let's go back to Sunday morning at about 8:34am ~~~ I sat both of my boys down and had a talk with them. They have a tendency to talk and not behave during church. (Hard to believe since their my kids huh?) This, coming from the guy who, in the 1st grade if you walked into his class and there was a desk besides the teachers'......it was mine! So, I told the boys "You sit there and be quiet unless we're singing. Then you can sing as loud as you want. ~~~Back to church service~~~ I sit down and get settled and my lovely wife leans over and tells me that he was belting out his favorite church hymn, that we all know and love - Go ahead sing along if you know it - SCOOBY DOOBY DOO...WHERE ARE YOU...WE NEED SOME HELP FROM YOU NOW! - I guess I didn't specify WHICH song to sing loudly.

Time for random observations that require little thought.....Coming back from playing golf I drove through Terrell. You ever notice that when someone no longer wants a couch the put it on the curb? Of course ya do. Well, this was the first time that I saw a couch on the curb with someone sitting down on it! Were they resting, testing the comfort factor, hunting for loose change? What kind of town is that?
Last night we admitted my sister-in-law into Medical City. Where she will remain until the baby arrives. Pray that the blood pressure remains normal. - Pray that my kids are quiet when we visit. Pray that the tv volume works right.

Lastly, we got home last night about 10:00pm - Upon entering the house I heard a sound from about two acres away that wasn't very heartening. Nothing like a little GUNSHOT to say goodnight! I heard it again, peaked my head out the door (don't ask me why) and to my surprise my neighbor hollered over to me...."Armadillos" - ............just nodded my head and went back inside humming Scooby Doo all the way to bed.

later, Dave-O

2 comments:

Jill said...

I love me some nephews!!!

David said...

I completely forgot about the moving your desk by the teachers desk thing.. ha! remember how if we talked we had to hold our tongue.