Monday, October 20, 2008

Uncle Dave-O!!


That's right friends and neighbors. Abby Jewel Wagnon joined us at 12:10am Sunday morning.
Being brotherless and sisterless this is my only shot at uncle-ness.

So, Tuesday 10/14 we admit my sister-in-law Jill to Medical City. (Not really a city) What if it was though? A whole town with nurses, physicians, and cna's? "Excuse me sir, can you help me find an eating joint?" "Sure, we have this great big cafeteria, and some of the housekeeping employees will be taking naps there" Instead of IHOP they have IHMO's - that kills!.....What was I talking about? Oh yeah, our dear Abby. Hey! Nevermind.
So, we were told that in the hospital Jill would remain until our precious arrival makes herself known. Saturday night rolls around and I'm on location in Gilmer TX. A place where even squares can have a ball. I'm back stage in between our two sets (5:00p and 8:00p) and my phone goes berserk. I had simultaneously (not an easy word to spell!) received 3 text messages from her. You see getting a signal on your cell phone is a little like eating carrots and pooping office supplies. - Close to impossible! As soon as I hit a "good" spot my phone just lit up. Unbeknownst (another tough one) to me these texts were about an hour and a half late. I thought it was at real time. They basically said "WE'RE HAVING THE BABY, YOU HAVE TO COME GET THE BOYS!!!!" - Uh, I'm close to 3 hours away near Deliverance! So, I try to reply and, apparently, you need to have atleast one little-ole' bar on your phone for you to be able to send anything as well. There were only two place to receive such service. Up the backstage stairs leaning over the rail and.....AT the piano. So, I'm playing and texting at the same time. I either misspelled horribly, or played the wrong song! - Would these people notice anyway? So I get a response that I need to call my mom to see if she can get the boys. Then I play a solo and get fanned by a pshycho emcee. Then finish, climb up the backstage stairs, lean over the balcony and talk to mom.
Turns out the boys fell asleep at the hospital and that part turns out okay. So I get to the hospital around 12:45p. Saw cute little Abby. Picked up the boys and headed home. Got home about 2:17am - get the boys to bed lay down only to have to wake up 3 hrs and 45 minutes later to get leave for a concert in Mesquite Sunday morning! So there I am on stage playing, staring at the boys with this "YOU BETTER NOT MOVE" look. - They actually were very good and I didn't have to worry about them. After the concert we went back to the hospital to see baby Abby. Drew got to hold her. Caden got to ask her questions like "Are you dreaming about Kung Fu Panda?" I got to hold her and watch her sleep. I rocked her very gently, but if I stopped she would squirm a little as if to say "You don't stop until I tell you to Uncle Dave" and then she'd say "What a great uncle you are Uncle Dave"
Seriously she is a remarkable little person to win my heart so quickly. I love her, and love that the boys have a girl cousin. A "cousette" if you will.
The sad thing is, as tired as a weekend that this was for me, I'm probably the fifth tiredest of the group. Andrea and her mom, "granny Kathy" as Abby will call her if I have anything to do about it, did a lot of driving back and forth with very little sleep putting up with a duo of hyper boys. Kathy had to drive my truck close to Sherman yesterday so that "Pops" (can't you just here little Abby say 'Pops'?) could see her. Stan, the dad, just made it in on Thursday and had to play host to a slew of family and friends this weekend.
But the tiredest of all has got to be the real champion of this holiday weekend - ME, IT'S GOT TO BE ME DARN-IT! I mean, I had to do two performances and everyth.........kidding.
Congratulations Jill! You win the award of most tiredest. You did very well, and have started the path to becoming a wonderful mother. In one early morning setting you've managed to make me an uncle, Andrea an aunt, your parents now have their first grand-daughter, my sons now have their first cousin, Stan has become a father......mostly making me an uncle though! You also win the award of raising a beautiful daughter (neice to me!) that will ask you all kids of questions like "Why does Caden talk so fast?" "Why does Drew like Mario Bros?" "Why does granny kathy keep it so cold then so hot in her house? "Why does Pops have a dump truck?" Why does aunt Andrea always want to babysit me?" and.........why does my uncle travel to places like Gilmer to play the piano....and why is he soooo good looking....and why does he blog about everybody but always manage to make it about himself??"

Welcome to the world Abby. We look forward to everyday with you!

No comments: